Where could a career at Thorlux take you?
Thorlux employs approximately 400 people in its modern manufacturing facility in the Moons Moat area of Redditch, Worcestershire. We have excellent facilities including robotic wiring machine, fully automated punch and bend sheet metal line and in house powder coating. We have a long history and we genuinely care about our employees.
Electrician/Commissioning Engineer/18th Edition Electrician
Electrician/Commissioning Engineer/18th Edition Electrician Permanent
A brand-new position has arisen for an experienced Commissioning Engineer who will be responsible in providing on-site assistance and the commissioning of my client’s products. You will also offer Technical electrical fault find and diagnostics for this extremely busy and friendly organisation.
Reporting to the Senior Manager, you will be responsible for the below:
- Liaise with customers to advise on installation, connection and basic fault finding on all my clients control systems.
- To arrange site visits with relevant parties from contractors to end users, in order to enable timely and effective commissioning of all control systems or site rectification work.
- Keep active records on all projects to enable generation of commissioning certificates upon satisfactory completion of the commissioning process and to ensure all relevant invoicing is carried out.
- Report back on all issues relating to product defect/performance issues, and to actively advise on improvements.
- Assist with testing of control system site, customer returns and relevant paperwork.
- To be successful in the role of Commissioning Engineer you must hold a valid, and up to date, full UK Driving Licence, and have an electrical background.
Training would be available upon successful application.
The role is based predominantly around the M4 corridor of which a car will be provided. There will be the requirement for occasional overnight stops which are fully expensed.
If you have the ability to provide excellent Electrical skills, have exceptional Customer Service and thrive in a team environment with an energetic and strong desire to succeed then please apply!!
In return for the above, a competitive package is on offer. Additionally, this post will provide a real opportunity to join an extremely professional, global manufacturing facility.
We are open to applications from Commercial or Domestic Electrician/Commissioning Engineer/18th Edition Electrician’s.
Please contact Cathy Armstrong - HR on 01527 586450.Apply
Lighting Project & Survey Engineer
As a result of our growth dealing with large projects, vacancies have arisen in our Lighting Design Department for a Lighting Project Engineer, training can be given if required.
Purpose Of The role:
To carry out surveys, designs and return on investments of any degree of complexity with some supervision. To have some understanding and be able to communicate matters relating to lighting applications. To work closely with the Projects Department as a member of the Midlands Team
Main duties will consist of:-
- Design of lighting schemes, prepare layout drawings and quotations to deadlines set.
- To assist in the production of site surveys and energy/payback calculations.
- Undertake site surveys.
- Assist with the production and amendment of the energy spread sheet proposals where necessary to achieve the best result.
- To assist with project management duties and onsite co-ordination of projects if required.
- Undertake training in all methods, standards and regulations relating to lighting applications.
- Undertake training in the application of lamps, LEDs, luminaires, and photometric data by technical appreciation.
- Communicate effectively and professionally, verbally and in writing to customers and other staff at all times.
- Engage in commercial activities such as exhibition stand duty as required.
- To show a degree of flexibility with regards working hours.
- To convey a professional manner at all times.
- To create, maintain and manage the workload, meeting the deadlines set by the Northern Team Leader or Department Manager.
5 GCSE’s at C grade or above which includes Maths and English
Experience with AutoCAD and Microsoft Office packages.
Have strong communication skills.
Self-motivated, but also happy to work as a part of a team.
Enjoy problem solving, have an ability to establish priorities and cope with pressure.
A commitment to deliver a high class, customer focused and reliable service is paramount.
If you are interested in the above position, apply in writing to Cathy Armstrong – HR Department.Apply
We are looking for an additional Maintenance Engineer to join us here at head office to Safely maintain, service & repair the company plant, equipment and buildings. To design, manufacture, repair and modify jigs/fixtures, carry out mechanical works and building fabric works as required to minimise/eliminate production delays.
- To ensure that all plant, equipment and buildings are safe to use and function as designed.
- Rapidly respond and support the Manufacturing and Distribution departments in the maintenance, service and repair of all plant, building, mechanical systems and equipment, to minimise any loss in production.
- Assist in the setting up and ongoing running of a preventative maintenance schedule to agreed standards and timescales.
- Keep records of repairs and services in line with the preventative maintenance programme and pick up jobs carried out.
- Specify and order parts & materials required for electrical, Mechanical, maintenance or tooling.
- Advise on methods/equipment that could lead to improved safety, productivity improvements and cost savings.
- Work flexible hours and when requested conduct maintenance work outside normal working hours, including weekends, early weekday starts and some Friday afternoon coverage, in order to minimize the disruption to manufacturing processes.
- Liase with external engineers to supervise, fault find/correct machine issues when they arise.
- Maintain and repair press tools as required.
- Maintain an organised and tidy working environment.
- Assist in the general maintenance of the factory and plant.
- Ensure quality and accuracy of work in a timely manner.
- Use all safety devices, access equipment and safe practices as appropriate.
- To issue small tools, drills and taps etc when required.
- Undertake any other duties the company as required/assigned.
- • Maintain production tools i.e. air guns, rivets etc.
Applicants would need to a previous background in Mechanical Maintenance and PPM procedures in a manufacturing setting.
Please contact Cathy Armstrong for more information.Apply
Manufacturing Cost Accountant
We are looking for a Manufacturing Cost Accountant, reporting directly to the Group Financial Controller based in our state of the art manufacturing facility in Redditch, UK. You will work closely with operational colleagues to provide analysis of costs that relate to manufacturing activities. In additional you will work closely with internal and external sales colleagues to understand pricing structures. Ensure a robust process is in place to ensure product costing accurately reflects the manufacturing process.
- Work closely within the business, primarily partnering the operations functions to better understand costs within the operational activities
- Introduce control and best practice to ensure consistence in costing and pricing data
- Provide information on costing and pricing requirements to all levels of the business
- Ensure all products have costs correctly allocated and that the pricing structures are reviewed periodically to ensure accuracy
- Ensure products are correctly priced and costed, supporting routing and item master management
- Support the launch of new products – investigate prices for materials, labour costs and report findings to relevant departments
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Support business performance by providing operations financial analysis and thorough reporting of metrics and KPI’s
- Maintenance and development of costing and sales pricing systems ensuring BOM and item master integrity
- Inventory financial control including balance sheet reconciliations and obsolescence provisions
- Analysis of actual costs compared to expected costs, ensuring that data flows through the systems correctly.
- Project tracking and reporting
- Undertake ad-hoc projects as required by the Group Financial Director and Group Financial Controller
- Ensure management information packs are issued in a timely manner in line with financial reporting requirements
- Other duties commensurate with the skills and experience of the person in the role or required as the role develops
- Part qualified accountant with a commitment to completing CIMA qualification
- Experience of working in manufacturing environments, with an ethos of continuous improvement, in costing roles
- IT literate with good excel skills and desirable experience of working with Infor M3 (or similar sized product SAP, JDE, MS Business Central).
- Graduate level (minimum A level qualifications)
- Logical and problem solving with attention to detail and willingness to develop
- Ability to maintain productive working relationships with other areas of the business
- Process orientated, leads by example and embraces change
- Analytical, able to interpret and manipulate large volumes of data
- Flexible, hardworking and honest
Mechanical Design Engineer
Due to yet further expansion we are looking for a Mechanical Design Engineer to join us here at Head Office in Redditch. Our Group consists of a diverse portfolio of seven lighting manufacturers based in the UK and Europe covering the areas of commercial, industrial, cleanroom, healthcare, education, retail & hospitality, road & tunnel, heritage and Emergency lighting. For further information please visit www.fwthorpe.co.uk.
You will be responsible for the mechanical design and development of new products as prescribed by the Company via the Marketing department. The role is to develop designs within the team and deliver new products on time and in line with set cost targets. The Design Engineer will be responsible for working with the team and cross functionally, staying abreast of the latest manufacturing practices and technologies and delivering continuous improvement to our development timeframe and value for investment.
- Be responsible for the mechanical design of new product ideas, their concept sampling and subsequent design for manufacturing.
- To ensure new designs meet the concept brief mechanically and are introduced in accordance with the agreed timing plan.
- Ensure new products meet the desired costs as indicated in the concept brief.
- Ensure development costs are logged and in accordance with the concept brief.
- To take on board comments from other managers, especially those involved in production and buying. To welcome and embrace their input. To liaise effectively with all departments having an input into the design cycle.
- Ensure that designs (other than the electrical parts which is the responsibility of the technical director/dept.) fully comply with BSEN60598 and other similar standards. Safety of our products in use is the number one consideration.
- Research modern design techniques and make recommendations / improvements to current methods.
- Liaise with external suppliers within the design process and providing advice regarding tooling and sample sign off requirements.
- To provide necessary drawing documentation during design process.
- Provide, with assistance, initial manufacturing cost estimates for new products.
- Mechanical Design Engineer will participate in VAVE initiatives to help drive productivity improvements in the business and meet annual targets set each financial year.
Minimum Job Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree in mechanical engineering.
- 5 years or more product development experience with steel and injection moulding.
- Fully literate in AutoCad Design
- Technically competent and able to converse comfortably with engineers, customers, peers and the team on product matters.
- Strong willed and single minded – able to drive through actions where required.
- Strong and capable communicator from board level down; from engineer up.
- Strong influencing skills.
- Change orientated and organized with strong planning skills.
- Visionary and entrepreneurial – able to see and hold the big picture and see opportunities and to think ahead.
- Driven by the desire to succeed but also with strong quality and value for money ethic.
- Able to achieve on time delivery despite obstacles – goal focused.
- Strong awareness of attention to detail and the use of data to produce a winning argument.
We offer an excellent range of benefits to include Pension, Life Assurance, Share Option Scheme, Company Bonus and 25 days holiday plus stats. Excellent opportunities for personal and professional development exist within the group.
For for more details please contact Cathy Armstrong in HR on 01527 583200 or email firstname.lastname@example.orgApply
We are looking for a Quality Engineer to join our ever-expanding team, this is an excellent career opportunity and for personal development. You will be responsible to the Quality & Environmental Manager providing assistance in the maintenance of the BSI registered ISO 9001, ISO 14001 & ISO 45001 business management system.
You will actively support our design and manufacturing departments, supplying Engineering Analysis on product conformity issues including corrective and preventative actions.
The successful candidate will ideally have experience in Quality Assurance within a thriving manufacturing environment and internal auditing of management systems to ISO 19011. It would be an advantage to have experience of PCB and LED technology. The ideal candidate will be a self-reliant analytical enquiring problem solver, with good communications skills with the flexibility to fit into a culture, which encourages multi-tasking and multi-skilling.
- Timely response to production quality issues
- Identify potential sub-standard materials
- Ensure product conformity and prevent substandard material
- Identify, segregate & control any non-conformity material
- Support the continual improvement of the manufacturing facility
- Investigate nonconforming issues with robust corrective actions
- Support the Quality & Environmental Manager is the maintenance of the business management system
- Monitor and controlling nonconforming products
- Reviewing any nonconforming and deciding on their dispositions
- Initiating action to prevent re-occurrence of product conformity
- Provide engineering analysis to solve product nonconformity issues
- Reporting Quality performance to all levels of management
- Routine Raw Material and management system audits
- Present Quality Data Analysis to the Quality & Environmental Manager
- Provide internal calibration for measurement devices
- Routine interaction SQDCI Boards
- Educated HNC or Degree level in Engineering discipline
- ICRA Internal Auditing
Please contact Cathy Armstrong in HR on 01527 586450.Apply
How to Apply
If you are interested in any of the above positions please download and complete the application form and return by email to email@example.com. Alternatively you can print off the application form and complete with blue or black pen and return by post to the below address:
- Julie Laman (Group Personnel Manager)
- Thorlux Lighting
- Merse Road
- North Moons Moat
- B98 9HH
- United Kingdom
You may include a CV if you wish but only submissions including the FW Thorpe Plc application form can be accepted.
For further assistance please contact Julie Laman (Group Personnel Manager) on +44 (0)1527 583200.