Where could a career at Thorlux take you?
Thorlux employs approximately 400 people at its modern manufacturing facility in the Moons Moat area of Redditch, Worcestershire. We have been designing and manufacturing innovative luminaires and controls systems for over 80 years and are proud that 97% of our products are manufactured in the UK. Our luminaires are manufactured utilising our excellent facilities including automated punching and laser cutting machines, in house powder coating and state of the art surface mount technology (SMT) lines placing over 1,000,000 components every week. We have a long history and we genuinely care about our employees.
We are looking for enthusiastic and dedicated Assembly Operatives to join us where you will be required to assemble, test, final assemble and pack assembly products. You will be responsible for the productivity, quality, housekeeping, and schedule adherence of the Assembly Cell.
- Receive and carry out work given by the Group/Team Leader, ensuring compliance to the ISO9001 procedures laid down for that work, i.e. when testing strictly follow the test procedures, e.g. ensure wires are securely connected. To assist in other areas of the department when required.
- Ensure the quality of the work.
- Produce a “First Off” and have this approved before commencing the batch, except on batches that are wired separately by a small quantity wirer.
- Report any non-conforming products to the Team Leader.
- Ensure compliance to all Company rules and regulations (see Company handbook).
- Maintain Health and Safety and good working practices at all times.
- Ensure the proper use of equipment and report any malfunction to the Group/Team Leader immediately.
- To ensure all items of production are positively identified by the correct labelling.
- To seek best practice and continual improvement within the Cell.
- Maintain adherence to Schedules.
- Ensure compliance to ISO14001 environmental policy.
These roles are on a temporary to permanent basis, please call our HR team on 01527 583200. Training will provided by our in-house Training School to ensure you are give the very best training to succeed.Apply
Electrician/Commissioning Engineer/18th Edition Electrician
Electrician/Commissioning Engineer/18th Edition Electrician Permanent
A brand-new position has arisen for an experienced Commissioning Engineer who will be responsible in providing on-site assistance and the commissioning of my client’s products. You will also offer Technical electrical fault find and diagnostics for this extremely busy and friendly organisation.
Reporting to the Senior Manager, you will be responsible for the below:
- Liaise with customers to advise on installation, connection and basic fault finding on all my clients control systems.
- To arrange site visits with relevant parties from contractors to end users, in order to enable timely and effective commissioning of all control systems or site rectification work.
- Keep active records on all projects to enable generation of commissioning certificates upon satisfactory completion of the commissioning process and to ensure all relevant invoicing is carried out.
- Report back on all issues relating to product defect/performance issues, and to actively advise on improvements.
- Assist with testing of control system site, customer returns and relevant paperwork.
- To be successful in the role of Commissioning Engineer you must hold a valid, and up to date, full UK Driving Licence, and have an electrical background.
Training would be available upon successful application.
The role is based predominantly around the M4 corridor of which a car will be provided. There will be the requirement for occasional overnight stops which are fully expensed.
If you have the ability to provide excellent Electrical skills, have exceptional Customer Service and thrive in a team environment with an energetic and strong desire to succeed then please apply!!
In return for the above, a competitive package is on offer. Additionally, this post will provide a real opportunity to join an extremely professional, global manufacturing facility.
We are open to applications from Commercial or Domestic Electrician/Commissioning Engineer/18th Edition Electrician’s.
Please contact Cathy Armstrong on 01527 586450 or email the address stated below for more details.Apply
Health and Safety Manager
We have a fantastic NEW opportunity here in Head Office for a Health and Safety Manager who will work collaboratively with all aspects of the business and to drive a culture that reflects a high level of awareness of health and safety standards, providing advice and guidance where required.
- To ensure that all statutory health and safety requirements are implemented and upheld.
- Provide professional health and safety leadership to all stakeholders.
- Ensure statutory requirements are being upheld throughout the business e.g. COSHH, RIDDOR, DSE, Risk Assessments etc.
- Review, develop and communicate all aspects of the company’s health, safety and well-being policies and procedures.
- Oversee and undertake audits where appropriate and ensure action plans, with clear objectives, are effectively communicated to the relevant people.
- Monitor, evaluate and review existing, new and upcoming health and safety legislation and communicate it in a way that everyone can understand their own responsibilities.
- Identify, provide and/or procure relevant & effective health & safety related training
- Lead the business through the occurrence of any accidents or incidents, conducting investigations and providing recommendations arising from them.
- Review and report upon health and safety system performance, and identified improvements implemented, to the Board of Directors.
- To facilitate, engage and lead a continuous improvement health and safety program focused on attaining zero incidents in any given year both internally and externally on customer/end user sites
- To champion the Company’s Health & Safety focus on eradicating perceived risks, to educate employees on good safety practices and to lead the enforcement of Company rules and policies.
- To be an active change agent, defining and implementing new standards and providing comprehensive communications to the workforce on our health and safety progress and findings
- Establish key metrics to report on across the business (operations, offices, site services, project managers and sales personnel) that identify target measures, corrective actions and resulting trends.
- Actively work with non office based personnel to ensure processes are in place to secure safe home working environments
- Develop and implement appropriate training for project managers and site services engineers (CDM/SMSTS etc)
- Apply for and retain appropriate health and safety awards to externally benchmark the company’s health and safety performance and enhance its commercial prospects. Namely ISO 45001.
- Graduate in a relevant discipline i.e. NEBOSH Diploma/NVQ Level 5/Degree in Health & Safety.
- Chartered Health & Safety Practitioner or working towards/equivalent experience
- Recent proven experience of working in a health & safety leadership position, responsible for providing proactive occupational health & safety management for a company of a similar size and/or industry
- Experience in training, coaching and mentoring to develop health & safety knowledge and expertise
- Experience of successfully managing projects and managing own workload to meet deadlines
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of all aspects of health, safety and risk management, including legislative requirements
- Ability to interpret and provide advice and/or guidance on health, safety and risk management issues and managing/monitoring the successful implementation of any such advice and/or guidance
- Proven track record of continuous improvement in safety standards within a manufacturing environment and with remote teams
- Proven track record of cross functional team work and leadership within a manufacturing setting.
- Knowledge of workplace well-being initiatives and how they add value to an organisation
- Good working knowledge of environmentally conscious/sustainability / circular economy initiatives
Please contact Cathy Armstrong on 01527 586450 or email the address stated below for more details.Apply
Lighting Project & Survey Engineer
As a result of our growth dealing with large projects, vacancies have arisen in our Lighting Design Department for a Lighting Project Engineer, training can be given if required.
Purpose of the Role:
To carry out surveys, designs and return on investments of any degree of complexity with some supervision. To have some understanding and be able to communicate matters relating to lighting applications. To work closely with the Projects Department as a member of the Midlands Team
Main duties will consist of:
- Design of lighting schemes, prepare layout drawings and quotations to deadlines set.
- To assist in the production of site surveys and energy/payback calculations.
- Undertake site surveys.
- Assist with the production and amendment of the energy spread sheet proposals where necessary to achieve the best result.
- To assist with project management duties and onsite co-ordination of projects if required.
- Undertake training in all methods, standards and regulations relating to lighting applications.
- Undertake training in the application of lamps, LEDs, luminaires, and photometric data by technical appreciation.
- Communicate effectively and professionally, verbally and in writing to customers and other staff at all times.
- Engage in commercial activities such as exhibition stand duty as required.
- To show a degree of flexibility with regards working hours.
- To convey a professional manner at all times.
- To create, maintain and manage the workload, meeting the deadlines set by the Northern Team Leader or Department Manager.
- 5 GCSEs at C grade or above which includes Maths and English
- Experience with AutoCAD and Microsoft Office packages.
- Have strong communication skills.
- Self-motivated, but also happy to work as a part of a team.
- Enjoy problem solving, have an ability to establish priorities and cope with pressure.
- A commitment to deliver a high class, customer focused and reliable service is paramount.
If you are interested in the above position, apply in writing to Cathy Armstrong – HR Department.Apply
We are looking for an additional Maintenance Engineer to join us here at head office to Safely maintain, service & repair the company plant, equipment and buildings. To design, manufacture, repair and modify jigs/fixtures, carry out mechanical works and building fabric works as required to minimise/eliminate production delays.
- To ensure that all plant, equipment and buildings are safe to use and function as designed.
- Rapidly respond and support the Manufacturing and Distribution departments in the maintenance, service and repair of all plant, building, mechanical systems and equipment, to minimise any loss in production.
- Assist in the setting up and ongoing running of a preventative maintenance schedule to agreed standards and timescales.
- Keep records of repairs and services in line with the preventative maintenance programme and pick up jobs carried out.
- Specify and order parts & materials required for electrical, Mechanical, maintenance or tooling.
- Advise on methods/equipment that could lead to improved safety, productivity improvements and cost savings.
- Work flexible hours and when requested conduct maintenance work outside normal working hours, including weekends, early weekday starts and some Friday afternoon coverage, in order to minimize the disruption to manufacturing processes.
- Liase with external engineers to supervise, fault find/correct machine issues when they arise.
- Maintain and repair press tools as required.
- Maintain an organised and tidy working environment.
- Assist in the general maintenance of the factory and plant.
- Ensure quality and accuracy of work in a timely manner.
- Use all safety devices, access equipment and safe practices as appropriate.
- To issue small tools, drills and taps etc when required.
- Undertake any other duties the company as required/assigned.
- Maintain production tools i.e. air guns, rivets etc.
Applicants would need to a previous background in Mechanical Maintenance and PPM procedures in a manufacturing setting.
Please contact Cathy Armstrong for more information.Apply
Manufacturing Cost Accountant
We are looking for a Manufacturing Cost Accountant, reporting directly to the Group Financial Controller based in our state of the art manufacturing facility in Redditch, UK. You will work closely with operational colleagues to provide analysis of costs that relate to manufacturing activities. In additional you will work closely with internal and external sales colleagues to understand pricing structures. Ensure a robust process is in place to ensure product costing accurately reflects the manufacturing process.
- Work closely within the business, primarily partnering the operations functions to better understand costs within the operational activities
- Introduce control and best practice to ensure consistence in costing and pricing data
- Provide information on costing and pricing requirements to all levels of the business
- Ensure all products have costs correctly allocated and that the pricing structures are reviewed periodically to ensure accuracy
- Ensure products are correctly priced and costed, supporting routing and item master management
- Support the launch of new products – investigate prices for materials, labour costs and report findings to relevant departments
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Support business performance by providing operations financial analysis and thorough reporting of metrics and KPI’s
- Maintenance and development of costing and sales pricing systems ensuring BOM and item master integrity
- Inventory financial control including balance sheet reconciliations and obsolescence provisions
- Analysis of actual costs compared to expected costs, ensuring that data flows through the systems correctly.
- Project tracking and reporting
- Undertake ad-hoc projects as required by the Group Financial Director and Group Financial Controller
- Ensure management information packs are issued in a timely manner in line with financial reporting requirements
- Other duties commensurate with the skills and experience of the person in the role or required as the role develops
- Part qualified accountant with a commitment to completing CIMA qualification
- Experience of working in manufacturing environments, with an ethos of continuous improvement, in costing roles
- IT literate with good excel skills and desirable experience of working with Infor M3 (or similar sized product SAP, JDE, MS Business Central).
- Graduate level (minimum A level qualifications)
- Logical and problem solving with attention to detail and willingness to develop
- Ability to maintain productive working relationships with other areas of the business
- Process orientated, leads by example and embraces change
- Analytical, able to interpret and manipulate large volumes of data
- Flexible, hardworking and honest
We are looking for a Quality Engineer to join our ever-expanding team, this is an excellent career opportunity and for personal development. You will be responsible to the Quality & Environmental Manager providing assistance in the maintenance of the BSI registered ISO 9001, ISO 14001 & ISO 45001 business management system.
You will actively support our design and manufacturing departments, supplying Engineering Analysis on product conformity issues including corrective and preventative actions.
The successful candidate will ideally have experience in Quality Assurance within a thriving manufacturing environment and internal auditing of management systems to ISO 19011. It would be an advantage to have experience of PCB and LED technology. The ideal candidate will be a self-reliant analytical enquiring problem solver, with good communications skills with the flexibility to fit into a culture, which encourages multi-tasking and multi-skilling.
- Timely response to production quality issues
- Identify potential sub-standard materials
- Ensure product conformity and prevent substandard material
- Identify, segregate & control any non-conformity material
- Support the continual improvement of the manufacturing facility
- Investigate nonconforming issues with robust corrective actions
- Support the Quality & Environmental Manager is the maintenance of the business management system
- Monitor and controlling nonconforming products
- Reviewing any nonconforming and deciding on their dispositions
- Initiating action to prevent re-occurrence of product conformity
- Provide engineering analysis to solve product nonconformity issues
- Reporting Quality performance to all levels of management
- Routine Raw Material and management system audits
- Present Quality Data Analysis to the Quality & Environmental Manager
- Provide internal calibration for measurement devices
- Routine interaction SQDCI Boards
- Educated HNC or Degree level in Engineering discipline
- ICRA Internal Auditing
Please contact Cathy Armstrong in HR on 01527 586450.Apply
Due to expanision we are looking for Sales Administrator's to join our busy team, we have various options on offer from permanent, fixed term cover and temporary to permanent.
You will be required to provide administration services for sales office personnel to ensure customer contact both verbal and written is carried out speedily, accurately and professionally.
- To operate the sales office switchboard and assist in operating the reception switchboard.
- Check voice-mail messages received overnight on the Post Room telephone.
- Issue quotations and up-date records on the CRM system.
- To maintain the files of all correspondence handled by the Sales Office both current and historical.
- Provide a speedy distribution of catalogues to customers and company representatives.
- Distribute incoming and collate out going post and faxes.
- To carry out any task delegated by the Sales Office Manager or the Sales Correspondent Team Leader.
Please contact Cathy Armstrong on 01527 586450 or email the address stated below.Apply
Technical Services Engineer
We are looking for an enthusiastic Technical Services Engineer to join our team based at our head office in Redditch to provide support to internal and external stakeholders.
Reporting to the Technical Team Leader, you will work closely with colleagues across the business and be flexible in your approach to resolving a wide range of enquiries
- Respond to customer enquiries and helpline requests in a timely manner through phone, email and online channels
- Support our UK & worldwide Sales Engineers in specifying luminaires and control systems
- Liaise with Design & Laboratory staff, carrying out testing and development work
- Work with Site Services to resolve fault reports using the most efficient resources
- Communicate with suppliers, end users, electricians, and consultants to resolve issues
- Assist the Technical Team Leader in their day to day tasks
- You will need to be able to demonstrate excellent customer service skills
- Be able to work under pressure, both independently and as part of the team
- Have clear written and verbal communication skills
- Possess the ability to solve problems within tight deadlines
- Be a proficient IT user, using multiple systems for material flow, communication, and case management & record keeping
- Be willing to undertake training courses as required for the job role
- Be prepared to make occasional site visits if necessary
- You will ideally have a HNC/HND or higher qualification in a suitable engineering discipline
- Have experience in a production engineering environment with an electrical bias, preferably within the lighting industry
If you have the ability to meet and exceed our customer’s expectations in a rapidly-changing market, and thrive in a busy team environment, then please apply to join this successful professional company. Opportunities for personal and professional development exist within the group.
Please contact Cathy Armstrong on 01527 586450 or email the address stated below for more information.Apply
How to Apply
If you are interested in any of the above positions please download and complete the application form and return by email to email@example.com. Alternatively you can print off the application form and complete with blue or black pen and return by post to the below address:
- Julie Laman (Group Personnel Manager)
- Thorlux Lighting
- Merse Road
- North Moons Moat
- B98 9HH
- United Kingdom
You may include a CV if you wish but only submissions including the FW Thorpe Plc application form can be accepted.
For further assistance please contact Julie Laman (Group Personnel Manager) on +44 (0)1527 583200.